Friday, October 12, 2007

New Investments QQQQ & EWZ

I haven't given a weekly update in awhile. The S&P gained .72% this shortened trading week. My portfolio gained just.88% in that same period. My standout this week was Ford with over a 9% gain. The company gained on news that the UAW contract work may be easier for them as opposed to GM and Chrystler.

Pepsico. (PEP) underperformed this week on the back of good earnings news. Go figure. It happens sometimes. Look at McDonald's today. MCD stated that Q3 earnings would be better than what is expected (MCD didn't release Q3 earnings yet) and gained over 1% today.

Another quick update I wanted to give. I have also purchase another EFT. This time it is the popular Powershares QQQ (QQQQ) also known as the Cubes. This predominantly tech EFT gives me some exposure to large tech companies such as Microsoft, Intel, and Apple but also holds consumer services and healthcare stocks to the tune of 25% of overall holdings. Basically, it invests in everythings S&P excluding financials.

Since purchasing the EFT on September 24...ok, I haven't disclosed this to you before, the EFT has gained over 6% compared to the S&P 2.3% advance in that same period. I wrote about the Cubes over at Nesteggr this week. It is a good hold at least through the end of this year...and if techs continue to outperform, longer.

Next week I will be purchasing my first really "risky" EFT. I am going with the emerging market of Brazil with iShares MCSI Brazil (Free) Index. The EFT has gained over 70% this year to date and shows no signs of slowing down. And with the dollar low, overseas investments will continue to outperform domestic equities. I have to keep a little bit of a closer eye on this EFT (like I don't watch everything I own).

No comments: