Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Portfolio

I did get a little heat for making a pick based on Jim Jubak's recommendation. I'm not really sure why this should be such an issue for some. Look, I don't proclaim to be some stock picking guru. I understand basics such as P/E ratios etc but by no means am I a technical analyst.

So why shouldn't I cherry pick other people I trust choices? One, it can save some research. Two, it can introduce me to stocks that I would otherwise not know that they existed. And three, I don't use one person as the gospel. DVA is the first stock pick by Jim Jubak that I have used.

Of my portfolio so far the picks for ABX, LVS, PEP, and a portion of my BAC choice were influenced directly by other writers on the web. That means that F, PG, AGN, RIG, & DGX were all picks on my own without any outside influence. So, exactly half of all my picks were on my own. But notice anything else? I haven't performed nearly as well on the stocks that I have picked on my own vs what I have read.

I think that goes to show that maybe I don't know as much as I think I know. But I still chose those other stocks based on others recommendations. And by no means were these the only recommendations that some of these "stock" experts have made.

I also don't cherry pick from writers that I like. I also pick from those that I traditionally don't agree with. My choice of Bank of America was backed by Markman also on MSN. I don't normally agree with his analysis on many of his stock picks. In fact, I think he recently picked Countrywide. Hadn't been so bright of an idea, even including today's action. And even though I don't agree with Markman I still read his column every week.

Why do I read people who I don't agree with? He can't be wrong all the time right? What if he or anyone else I don't particularly agree with write about a stock that is perfect for my portfolio and investment style? He can't hit a home run? Of course he can, and does.

Read, read, read and take what you glean from individual perspectives and use it for your personal use. That is why you read it in the first place right? Cherry pick everybody as long as it meets your goals as an investor. Stay on top of that stock and what the person you used as a recommendation says about that stock. If they say sell, you might want to heed the advice.

No comments: