Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Adding 3 new Picks

I cut LVS loose earlier this week and the question was how to replace it? My first idea is to go with domestic companies that have a global reach...and make a large portion of their income from that "reach". Why this type of business? First, if we really are going to face a slowdown here at home, having a large portion of your income coming from outside the United States is great. Second, I don't think we are going to see the huge slowdown that most analysts are expecting, outside a few well worn sectors.

First choice: McDonald's (MCD). Now here is a comeback story. McDonald's went from a cheesy burger joint for kids to totally changing their product line and presenting their stores in a much more adult friendly kind of way. And it work. The stock has been on a great run over the last year or so. Don't expect it to slow down any time soon.

Second choice: Coca Cola Company (KO). Jim Cramer likes this company if the economy tanks. Great. I agree with Cramer on something. Now I don't feel so great about this pick. And I already hold PepsiCo also. I don't care. This company reaches around the globe and millions upon billions of the growing middle classes around the world will have to have their "Coke fix". Coca Cola has been buying up all sorts of little companies to diversify it's product offerings. It will work and continue to work.

Now for my third pick I am going away from the above reason and go back in the pharmaceutical area with my choice of Gilead Sciences Inc (GILD). This stock has grown and grown where most companies have big ups and downs. The company has a few hypertension drugs in the pipeline that are in Phase III trials, but the preliminary reports are looking good.

Here are the newbies. What do you think?

No comments: